Visiting Iraqi Scholars Grants, British Institute for the Study of Iraq (BISI) — LIMITE : 01/02/2014
These scholarships allow scholars to:
- spend up to two months in the UK;
- undertake a specific research or training project;
- build relations with scholars in the UK;
- participate in a suitable programme designed for each recipient;
- and to work with a mentor arranged by BISI.
These scholarships cover:
- institutional fees (e.g. university access and library usage but not tuition fees);
- housing (usually with a family) and a daily allowance for living expenses (per diem);
- all travel expenses, including visas;
- and emergency travel insurance.
These scholarships will not:
- pay any salary expenses;
- fund any full time university courses;
- pay for any routine dental or medical expenses.
Awards of fellowships may occasionally be made to more senior academics under the same conditions.
How to Apply
- Annual Deadline
- Applications are due by 1 February and candidates will be informed of the decision by early July. We reserve the right to withdraw any scholarship grants that have not been taken up within one year of notification of the awards.
- Eligibility: Leave of Absence
- Formal leave of absence from the scholar’s own institution or employer is required before an award is made; a copy of the permission for a leave of absence is to be sent to BISI. An acceptance form is required from each applicant in advance of making travel arrangements.
- Eligibility: English Language Ability
- The BISI reserves the right to request a telephone interview to ensure that the English language ability of successful applicants is of a satisfactory standard. All scholars must be able to converse and understand English to a working level to ensure the placement is a success.
- Application Forms
- Please complete an application form and return it to the Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. The application requires a short description of the project and the purpose of your visit to the UK. We also ask you to state when you would like to come to the UK. Please note that the next available scholarships are in 2015 from February – June and September – early December. Applicants should nominate an academic to supervise their scholarship in the UK and name the institution where they would like their scholarship to be based. All applicants must provide the name of at least one referee, accompanied by a current Curriculum Vita (details of education and employment).
- Terms and Conditions
- Prior to visiting the UK, Scholars must apply for a UK Visa; applications must be submitted three months before the visit and will require you to take your identity documents for checking at the Visa Application Centres in Baghdad and Erbil. The BISI will advise you through the process.
All scholars are expected to be able to work and travel independently in the UK. The BISI Administrator will help with all the travel and housing arrangements.
- Each Scholar is required to submit a report for the BISI Newsletter on their UK stay to BISI before they leave the UK.
Please read the full terms and conditions.