Assistant Professor: Contemporary Politics and Modern History of the Middle East, Department of Islam Studies, Radboud University — LIMITE : 24/01/2022
Assistant Professor: Contemporary Politics and Modern History of the Middle East
- Employment: 0.6 FTE
- Gross monthly salary: € 3,821 – € 5,230
- Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies
- Required background: PhD
- Application deadline: 24 January 2022
The Department of Islam Studies is looking for a new assistant professor to strengthen the Department’s research and teaching in the field of Islam, politics and society. In its teaching and research efforts, the Department of Islam Studies particularly focuses on the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Islam in Europe. However, we study Islam and the Middle East within a global perspective.
You are an expert in the modern history and politics of the Middle East, its global networks, and the role of Muslim actors within the contemporary political sphere. Particularly after the Arab Uprisings, these geographical areas witnessed major transformations in the political and religious spheres and show a variety of political developments and religious currents.
We therefore wish to increase our expertise in the field of contemporary history and politics of the region concerning themes such as democracy and authoritarianism, sectarianism, the role of Islamist social movements, and Islamic thought on politics. You are not only an expert on current developments in the Middle East, but also have a strong command of political theory and the region’s history as well as a strong affinity with studying the role of religion in the region’s politics. In your research, you use sources in Arabic and in other languages relevant to the region.
Your employment will consist of 50% teaching and 45% research and 5% management. As far as teaching is concerned, you will be asked to give an introductory course on the modern history of the Middle East, a Master’s course on Islamic thinkers on politics, and contribute to two courses of the MENA minor: on the Dynamics of Political Pacts in the Modern History in the MENA region, and on MENA in International Perspective: globalisation and regionalisation. In addition, you will also teach in the Philosophy track ‘Philosophy, Politics and Society’ (PPS) on State and Diversity in the MENA region.
Your research will be embedded in the Center for Religion and Contemporary Society (CRCS). Ideally, you have a broad international network and possess a publication record appropriate to your career stage. Our Department has a strong track record in attracting funds. In keeping with that tradition, you will develop concrete plans for future research. You will be assisted by your new colleagues in developing your own grant proposals with an eye to generating your own line of research and setting up your own research team. You will also be expected to be active in relation to societal impact. As a specialist on current events we will expect you to be involved in public debates and active on social media on a regular basis.
We are looking for a versatile teacher and researcher, who, within a few years, will have become an internationally recognised voice in his/her own field and, at the same time, will contribute to the definition of our Department’s future course and orientation. You should be cooperative and open-minded and not shy away from administrative tasks. The appointment is initially for 0.6 FTE but your remit may be expanded in due course. Our faculty’s career policy also defines the conditions for promotion to higher levels of professorship.
- You have completed your PhD and have scientific publications to your name on a relevant theme in Modern History or Politics of the Middle East; Middle Eastern Studies or Islamic Studies.
- You have teaching experience in the field of history and politics of the Middle East at BA and MA levels.
- You engage in societal debates about political developments and the role of Islam in the Middle East on a regular basis.
- You are proficient in Dutch (C1 level) and English (C2 level) or are willing to achieve these levels within two to four years.
- You are preferably in possession of the University Teaching Qualification (UTQ/BKO) or are willing to obtain such a qualification within two years.
- You have an excellent command of Arabic; knowledge of other languages of the Islamic world would be an asset.
The Department of Islam Studies consists of a small interdisciplinary team of teachers and researchers. Islam Studies is a BA and MA track in Religious Studies and offers courses on Islam, politics and society. The Department of Islam Studies particularly focuses on the Middle East and North Africa (MENA) and Islam in Europe.
The Faculty of Philosophy, Theology and Religious Studies is a compact, ambitious organisation with approximately 160 staff and nearly 1,000 students from the Netherlands and abroad. Our educational programme includes several top-notch degree programmes and has both in-depth disciplinary fields of study and interdisciplinary and interfaculty study programmes. The faculty has innovative teaching and research programmes with a strong focus on current social issues.
We want to get the best out of science, others and ourselves. Why? Because this is what the world around us desperately needs. Leading research and education make an indispensable contribution to a healthy, free world with equal opportunities for all. This is what unites the more than 24,000 students and 5,600 employees at Radboud University. And this requires even more talent, collaboration and lifelong learning. You have a part to play!
- Employment for 0.6 FTE.
- The gross monthly salary amounts to a minimum of €3,821 and a maximum of €5,230 based on a 38-hour working week, depending on previous education and number of years of relevant work experience (salary scale 11).
- You will receive 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end-of-year bonus.
- It concerns a temporary employment for 1 or 1.5 years depending on your background, with the possibility of a permanent contract after positive evaluation.
- You will be able to use our Dual Career and Family Care Services. Our Dual Career and Family Care Officer can assist you with family-related support, help your partner or spouse prepare for the local labour market, provide customized support in their search for employment and help your family settle in Nijmegen.
- Working for us means getting extra days off. In case of full-time employment, you can choose between 29 or 41 days of annual leave instead of the legally allotted 20.
Additional employment conditions
Would you like more information?
For questions about the position, please contact Karin van Nieuwkerk, Chair Islamstudies at karin.vannieuwkerk[at]ru.nl.
Practical information and applications
- A letter of motivation.
- Your CV including a publication list and the contact details of two references.
- Teaching evaluations.
The first round of interviews will take place on Friday 4 March. You would preferably begin employment on 1 June 2022.
We can imagine you’re curious about our application procedure. It offers a rough outline of what you can expect during the application process, how we handle your personal data and how we deal with internal and external candidates.
More information: here