Post-doctoral research fellowships in Arabic historiography / Ghent University — LIMITE : 15/11/2018
Last application date: Nov 15, 2018 17:00
Department: LW21 – Department of Languages and Cultures
Contract: Limited duration
Degree: Phd in Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, Arabic linguistics, or equivalent
Occupancy rate: 100%
Vacancy Type: Research staff
The ERC-Consolidator Grant Project ‘The Mamlukisation of the Mamluk Sultanate – II: historiography, political order and state formation in fifteenth century Egypt and Syria (MMS-II)” (2017-21) offers one fulltime post-doctoral fellowship in the fields of 15th-century Arabic sociolinguistics and/or historiography (1412-70 CE/ca. 815-74 AH).
MMS-II endeavours to offer the first comprehensive survey and collective historical interpretation of the diverse and voluminous range of Arabic historiographical texts that were produced in the Syro-Egyptian Mamluk Sultanate between 1410 and 1470 and that have continued to define historical imaginations to this very day. (see http://www.mamluk.ugent.be/MMS_II for more details). The post-doctoral researcher will be fully engaged in the project’s stage three. The project’s research at this stage will consist of the exploration and analysis of political vocabularies in the more than 80 Arabic texts that are relevant for the project’s time, space, and scope.
- The selected researcher will be expected to develop his own research on the political discourses that informed these texts and that, at the same time, materialized through them;
- the researcher will be expected to develop and apply methodologies related to Critical Discourse Analysis, Frame Analysis, etc and to work with the corpus that is being assembled for the project.
- The selected post-doctoral researcher will be expected to
- develop his/her own research project
- publish at least three individually authored articles in leading international journals
- publish at least three chapters in the project workshop proceedings
- actively participate in the project workshops, and in any other relevant local and/or international scholarly meeting
- participate in the co-editing of workshop proceedings
- contribute to the project’s corpus creation (especially participating in the preparation of texts for computational analysis)
Profile of the candidate
- The candidate should have a PhD in the ﬁeld of Arabic, Islamic Studies, (Middle East) History, Arabic Literature, Arabic Linguistics, or equivalent
- The candidate should have a promising track record in a field of research that is relevant for the MMS-II project, as demonstrated by relevant papers, publications, conference participations, PhD dissertation, reviews, committee comments,…
- The candidate should have a strong interest in the study of late medieval historiography and Arabic socio-linguistics, at the crossroads of socio-political history and cultural studies.
- The candidate should have experience with computational analysis and digital Islamic humanities more in general
- The candidate should be able to work independently and at the same time be a team player.
- The candidate has not worked, lived or studied in Belgium for more than 24 months in the last 36 months.
We offer a fulltime contract as post-doctoral fellow (max. 36 months), starting on 1 January 2019, or as soon as possible after this date. The starting salary is minimum 2.300 euro net on a full-time basis. For more information, see www.ugent.be/en/work.
How to apply
Please send us
- your CV;
- a cover letter with a short motivation and a statement of interest;
- a research proposal (3 pages) presenting a relevant research project and a research plan (along the lines of the research agenda defined in the job description above);
- the names and details of three referees (no reference letters !).
Applications can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org only; the four components of the application (CV, letter, proposal, names of referees) should be combined in one PDF file.
Deadline: November 15, 2018, 5 pm.
Attention: Applications submitted after the deadline will not be accepted. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for a skype/facetime/… interview shortly after 15 November 2018.