Assistant/Associate Professor in Islamic History, Qatar University — LIMITE : 15/10/2015
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates,destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University – faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses twelve departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature &Linguistics and Arabic Languages, History, Sociology,Social Work,International Affairs, Mass Communication, Psychology, Policy,Planning &Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Biological Sciences,Environmental Sciences, Public Health, Biomedical Sciences, Material Science,Sports Science, and Human Nutrition. The College also houses five Master Programs, which are in Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science and Arabic Language. In Fall 2013, CAS launched a PhD in Biological and Environmental Sciences. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center. The College is also starting a new Phd in Gulf Studies, a Mater in Applied Statistics, and a Master in Public Health in Fall 2015.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1million/project (5million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The Department of Humanities of Qatar University invites applications for the Assistant/Associate Professor in Islamic History. The successful candidate should be able to teach, review and develop different courses related to the area of Islamic History. The candidate will be able to demonstrate a proven record in research excellence and scholarship related to the field of Islamic History.
Duties & Responsibilities
|1 – Developing and teaching effectively Islamic history courses using modern tools such as multimedia and e-learning environment.
2- Carry out research in line with the research agenda of the department and college, as well as fostering a collaborative research agenda with other departments within Qatar University and beyond.
3- Perform other academic duties in accordance with Qatar University academic bylaws.
1- Applicants should possess a PhD degree in Islamic history or related areas.
The ability to provide innovative and dynamic teaching in a small, as well as in a large class learning environment
The applicant should be proficient in both Arabic and English
Experience with using computer in teaching is advantageous
Ability to teach undergraduate courses related to Islamic history
|REQUIRED DOCUMENTS: Academic:
1. Current Curriculum Vitae.
2. Cover letter.
3. Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
4. Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
5. Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
6. Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
1. One-Year Non-renewable contract.
2. Salary is commensurate with experience.
3. Tax-free salary.
4. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
5. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QU HR policies.
6. Educational allowance for candidate’s children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
7. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
8. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
9. End-of-contract indemnity.
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it toapply for an open Position.