Assistant Professor, Director of Liberal Arts and Sciences, Virginia Commonwealth University in Qatar — LIMITE : NON PRÉCISÉE
VCUQatar is the Qatar campus of the prestigious Virginia Commonwealth University School of the Arts in Richmond, Virginia. Established in 1998 through a partnership with Qatar Foundation, VCUQatar offers students the opportunity to earn a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in fashion design, graphic design, interior design and painting & printmaking, a Bachelor of Arts degree in art history and a Master of Fine Arts degree in design.
Located in Doha, the capital city of Qatar, VCUQatar is fully accredited by the National Association of Schools of Art & Design, The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Council for Interior Design Accreditation.
VCUQatar was the first campus established in Education City, and has since been joined by Weill Cornell Medical College, Texas A&M University, Georgetown University School of Foreign Service, Carnegie-Mellon University, Northwestern University, HEC Paris, and University College London.
Qatar is a liberal, hospitable and progressive country in the Arabian Gulf and remains one of the healthiest economies in the Gulf region. English is the standard second language and the population of Qatar is approximately 2.27 million and growing – 350,000 Qatari, the remainder expatriates. Doha offers all the conveniences found in a contemporary and cosmopolitan city, and also maintains a traditional Arab flavor, evident in the old markets and the city’s Islamic Arab architecture. The Museum of Islamic Art, designed by I.M.Pei opened in November 2008 and the Arab Museum of Modern Art (Mathaf) opened in 2010. The US Embassy considers Qatar among the safest countries in the world for Americans.
The Director of Liberal Arts And Sciences (LAS) will implement the general education component of undergraduate art history, and art and design degree programs, that provides a foundation for lifelong learning among our students. The program includes six core competencies of written communication, oral proficiency, critical thinking, information fluency, ethical and social responsibility and quantitative literacy. The Director is responsible for leadership and administration of LAS to advance the three tiers of the general education curriculum; foundational courses that serves the core curriculum; supporting courses that further develop the core competencies while providing a vehicle for intellectual inquiry within specific areas of study; and experiential courses that refer to other areas of inquiry by providing practical and experientially based knowledge both within and outside of the traditional classroom setting. The Director will foster and participate in collaborative environment to lead excellence in teaching, research and service within VCUQatar, and with partners across Education City universities, Qatar Foundation Centers and the broader community to achieve the Qatar Foundation’s vision to lead the “human, social and economic development of Qatar; making Qatar a nation that can be a vanguard for productive change in the region and a role model for the broader international community.”
The successful candidate will facilitate interdisciplinary approaches to creative, professional education; formulate and implement program goals; participate in the development and implementation of the institutional strategic plan as well as increase the program’s local, national and international involvement and visibility. This position will also provide guidance for faculty and student research opportunities and activities; and be responsible for the day-to-day administrative, academic, and managerial decisions as well as teach assignments that include courses in the humanities and sciences. Additionally, the successful candidate will participate in program and curriculum development, service to the profession, school, and community, student advising, and continued accomplishments in research/professional activity; build positive working relationships with VCU home campus and Education City universities; and ensures that administrative processes align with VCU policies and procedures. This position will perform all other duties as assigned.
• An earned PhD in a field within Liberal Arts and Sciences.
• Demonstrated commitment to research and promoting excellence in their field, and the liberal arts and sciences.
• Minimum of five years teaching experience in college or university general education in positions of increasing responsibility.
• Demonstrated administrative responsibilities.
• Demonstrated outstanding interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to build consensus and work collaboratively with colleagues and students.
• Evidence of successful collaborations within a global work environment and deep commitment to effective intercultural communication.
• A strong orientation toward positive collaboration with administration, faculty, staff, students, and the community.
• Experience in evaluating faculty, staff and resource requirements.
• A strong public service orientation to work well with faculty, staff, students, and the community.
• Enthusiasm and the ability to thrive in an atmosphere of constant change.
• Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
• Result-driven with excellent leadership qualities.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU and VCUQatar.
• Competitive international salary
• Tax protection for U.S. Taxpayers
• 30% Off-shore supplement to base salary
• Medical Insurance (100% employer funded premium and employer cost shared options available)
• Fully furnished villa or apartment including wireless internet
• Annual travel allowance to home of record (to include a spouse and dependents relocated to Qatar)
• Monthly transportation allowance
• Educational reimbursement for up to 4 dependent children enrolled in an accredited K-12 program
• International Professional Development and Research Opportunities