PhD (AIO) position, “Dutch military operations in Indonesia, 1945-1950”, Royal Netherlands Institute of Southeast Asian and Caribbean Studies (Pays-Bas) — LIMITE : 15/09/2014
PhD (AIO) position: ‘Dutch military operations in Indonesia, 1945-1950’
In 2012, KITLV in cooperation with the Netherlands Institute of Military History (NIMH) and the Institute of War, Holocaust, and Genocide Studies (NIOD) began a wide-ranging research program on Dutch military operations during the decolonization war in Indonesia, 1945-1950. As part of this initiative, KITLV is now hiring a PhD student (AIO) as part of the project.
The PhD student will help to identify the most promising research collections on the topic, will conduct empirical research in Dutch official, press and private archives as well as oral history collections, and will conduct further oral history research. The candidate should be capable of exploring and using relevant methodologies from the e-humanities. We expect the PhD student to be able to position his/her research in a broader comparative and conceptual framework. Applicants are strongly encouraged to develop their own questions and approach.
The PhD candidate should:
- Hold a (preferably Research) Master’s degree in History, or another relevant discipline within the Humanities or Social Sciences, or is due to graduate before November 2014;
- Excel academically, as shown in the transcripts and curriculum vitae;
- Have affinity with, and preferably experience in, the field of Indonesian history and/or 20th-century military history;
- Have a firm basis in archival research, and preferably also in oral history;
- Have an excellent written and spoken command of Dutch and English;
- Have excellent organizational and social skills and be a team player.
- Conduct research, primarily in Dutch collections but possible also abroad
- Write and complete a PhD dissertation within the allotted time (four years for 1.0 fte; five
years at 0.8)
- Collaborate with supervisors and peers on research and publications;
- Participate in conferences, workshops, and other scholarly activities.
Deadline for submission of applications is 15 September 2014 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please put “Ind1945-1950 AIO” in the subject line.
A more elaborate description of the project may be found at KITLV’s website at : http://www.indonesie45-50.nl/