The University of Michigan’s Departments of American Culture and Women’s Studies seek qualified applications for an open rank tenure-track or tenured appointment in Arab and Muslim American studies.
Candidates with scholarly expertise and teaching interests using feminist approaches to Arab and Muslim American studies (such as frameworks of race, gender, religion and sexuality) will be considered.
The search will consider candidates who focus on the U.S. as well as those who incorporate comparative and transnational frameworks in relation to the U.S. Scholars with a demonstrated expertise in the broader field of Arab and/or Muslim American studies are also encouraged to apply. This is a university-year appointment with an expected start date of September 1, 2015.
Interested applicants are required to hold a Ph.D. degree prior to appointment in any relevant field in the humanities or the social sciences. Applicants must demonstrate evidence of excellence in teaching and research.
Candidates should submit a digital application dossier via email attachment (in Microsoft Word or PDF format) to email@example.com.
Both junior and senior applicants should provide:
1. Cover letter addressed to Chair, Arab/Muslim American and Women’s Studies Search Committee;
3. Writing sample (no more than 25 pages);
4. Statement of teaching philosophy and experience;
5. Evidence of teaching excellence (i.e., student evaluations of teaching, course syllabi, teaching awards);
6. Statement of current and future research plans. In addition, junior candidates should provide three letters of recommendation, which should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org directly from the signer’s (or credentialing service’s) institutional email address.
Senior candidates should provide names of suggested reviewers. Deadline to apply for full consideration for the position is October 7, 2014. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. The University of Michigan is supportive of the needs of dual career couples and is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.