Oriental Institute is offering one- or two-year fellowships to outstanding scholars (with a preference on non-Czech residents) of history and cultures of the countries of Asia for the 2014-2015 (2014-2016) academic year.
The preference this year will be given to the following areas:
– modern Turkey/Ottoman Empire of 19th and early 20th century (history, society, politics)
– modern societies of the Arab states of the Levant (history, politics, religion)
– contemporary Israel (society, politics, cultural and linguistic identity)
– contemporary China (history, society, politics)
– contemporary India (history, society, politics)
– contemporary Indonesia (history, society, politics)
Possible topics might include: secularism, ideology, fundamentalism, (re)interpretation of national history/memory; legitimation of power; religious thought; textual criticism
Eligibility: This position is open to recent PhDs (as a post-doctoral position). PhD must be completed by June 30, 2014. Other requirements: working knowledge of at least one Asian language and two European languages.
Terms: The position typically runs from September 2014 to June 2015 (negotiable and with the possibility of extension to one more year). The salary for this 10-month period will be 12.000 EUR. We will also provide an office space, computer, proofreading service, library services (including small amount for books purchase), and funding for conference or research trips abroad. Researchers are expected to be in residence at the Oriental Institute in Prague. During their residence, researchers are required to produce academic publications (ideally turn their doctoral dissertations into monographs) and participate in Oriental Institute seminars and other events. We reserve the right not to fill this position.
Deadline for applications: April 15, 2014
June 1, 2014. Inquiries: Please direct inquiries to Ondrej Beranek at firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 00420 – 266 052 488
Application: Please submit all of the following materials:
1) CV and Publication List;
2) Project proposal (a. In three to five pages, double spaced 12 pt. Font, please explain the project you would undertake in the starting stage of your residence. In addition please include a separate bibliography of works to demonstrate how this project relates to the current state of research. b. A strong proposal articulates a clear hypothesis and methodology; outlines a clear and realistic work plan; and demonstrates how this contributes to an original understanding of Asian regions);
3) Writing Samples (a. Please include a writing sample of no more than 20 pages. b. Please include a Dissertation Abstract of no more than 2 pages);
4) Two letters of Recommendation (a. Please list the names, addresses and occupations of the two persons, not related to you, who will submit letters of recommendation on your behalf. Letters of recommendation must be submitted by the deadline for the application to be complete).
Mailing Instructions: Please send the application and letters electronically to: email@example.com
Source : http://www.orient.cas.cz/lide/kariera.html